Love God with Your Time

As a pastor, one of my most difficult tasks in life is to eat what I cook.  It's easy to preach through the Old and New Testament Scriptures each week.  I love to study and communicate the truth of the Bible.  Actually applying the truth of the Bible to myself each week?  Well, as the Wizard of Oz said in the movie, "that's a horse of a different color!" 

When Jesus taught his disciples about priorities and about what to prioritize in terms of obedience, Jesus set the priorities in the context of love.  Love God with all your heart, soul, mind and strength.  Jesus merely pointed out the obvious.  Love shows itself in how we use our time, our money and our talents.  I prioritize time with my kids and wife if I truly love and value them.  I prioritize time for golf if it is a love that pushes other things to the side.  During the course of life, sometimes I have more money, sometimes less.  Other times I have more energy, sometimes less energy.  On some occasions, my talents even change, where I am more skilled at sports or teaching or running.  Yet the one thing that never changes is time.  Each day always has the same allotment.

Recently I have become convicted on how I use my time to serve Jesus.  Do the news posts and articles I read about current events and sports really reflect a love for God?  I am a firm believer in fun and relaxing as part of a healthy spiritual life, but it must be in balance.  Loving God with my time means not curtailing fun, but using the time for communion with God, service to God and service to others.  After meditating on Matt 22:36-40, I am convinced (convicted) that I can do better, ultimately leading to greater joy.

How are you doing with your time?  Love God with your time.  A change in priorities reflects what we truly love.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

The God You Can Know

The Lies That Girl's Believe